Wednesday, January 16, 2019

How It's Going.


Hey friends! 

So far, most of these "daily challenge" posts have been about random subjects and topics that have just popped into my head. How has it been for you?

After a prompt from the regularly scheduled email this morning, I figured I'd sit and write about how this challenge is going for me so far. 

It hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would. I have lots of thoughts! It's not hard for me to come up with stuff to write about every day. That really isn't the problem I face in my day-to-day writing endeavors. 

So many authors say the most important thing you need to do as a writer is to write every day. But I'm curious how they actually write every day. Do they pick something random? Pick up where they left off in writing their book or proposal? I suppose if you have assignments and due dates that you work that stuff in where it needs to be (at least I would) but what else are they writing every day? 

I guess I used to assume that in order to write every day I had to have something "publishable" to be working on. My book(s), my proposal, a planned out blog post... something like that. And don't get me wrong, I have tons of stuff I could be writing about, but if I don't have an actual plan for when it needs to be done, turned in, or published, I tend to leave it on the back burner. Maybe it's just me, but it's kind of hard to just work on something you know might never go anywhere. 

I know, I know, God uses all that stuff. Nothing is really wasted. Even if something I write never gets anywhere, the practice of writing will bring value to the future projects I undertake. It's also hard for me to just slowly chip away at things. I like to have everything all outlined and planned out. And once I get in a groove, I hate to leave off when I need to get in bed or get to homeschooling or some (dull) housekeeping task. Funny, because I kind of dream of the scattered/artist-type life (that I'm sure if a terrible stereotype) of writing at crazy hours and have periods of immense seclusion from where I emerge all, I don't know, fulfilled? But that is kind of a crazy expectation. And the me that exists without much sleep is a me NO ONE wants to deal with.

So, how is this month going for me so far? I like the daily habit, but I'm unsure of how exactly to continue it. Maybe I ought to sit and plan out my writing days better? Maybe I need to sort out some possible topics to write about or plan for some outlining to help give me some structure when I sit down to write. I just don't know how to organize things to best serve my endeavors. 

I know it would help to have my endeavors written down somewhere, or even better, to really know them inside and out! I'm definitely getting there. And I know that writing every day has only helped (and I'm sure will continue to help) me get closer to being the kind of writer and hard-working artist I want to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment